Biennial X - Cascais 2013
X. Cascais, Portugal: from 19 to 21 September 2013
New Paradigms, Challenges and Opportunities for European Cities - The contribution of Spatial Planning to overcome the crisis.
This Biennal featured the future of the cities and the contribution of the spatial planning in new challenges in the frame of economic crisis in Europe.
Energy, mobility and urban regeneration were the main themes under the open title of New Paradigms, Challenges and Opportunities for European Cities.
The Biennial answering about the future generations: Children born today may live until 2090.
We are preparing our cities for them. How should we do that?
And how should we combine the new paradigms, the new basis of city life with the struggle to overcome of the current crisis.
The ECTP-CEU Young Planners workshop prensented at the Biennial its works on City without Public Economic Funds; and organised a Workshop on Urban Regeneration.
Download the declarations from the Cascais Biennial:
10th Biennial of European Towns and Town Planners - Cascais 19-21 September 2013
New Paradigms, Challenges and Opportunities for European Cities - The contribution of Spatial Planning to overcome the crisis
It's main themes were:
Children born today may live until 2090. We are preparing our cities for them. How should we do that? And how should we combine the new paradigms, the new basis of city life with the struggle to overcome of the current crisis?
The Biennial tried to answer these questions and was focused on different aspects of these subjects:
- Theoretical presentations by keynote speakers and authors of papers (general and specific; covering energy, water, information, public participation, demography; environment; new technologies, new materials and new methodologies);
- Young Planners Workshop on City without Public Economic Funds;
- Young Planners Workshop on Urban Regeneration;
- Best practice exhibition of innovative urban solutions;
- Best practice exhibition of recently completed innovative plans and projects;
- Exhibition of recently developed new technologies;
- The exhibition and conference presenting the winning projects in 2012 European Urban and Regional Planning Awards;
- Poster exhibition and conference presenting selected projects in the Cascais Urban Award 2013.
The Speakers were: Bernardo Secchi, Louis Albrechts, Alain Bourdin, Joan Busquets, Paolo la Greca, Oriol Nel.lo, António Câmara, Jaime Melo Baptista, Vincent Goodstadt, Kevin Murray, Ismael Fernandez Mejia, Izabela Mironowicz, Elin Sondergard, Pierre Laconte, Joaquim Poças Martins, Rafaela Matos, José Saldanha Matos, Helena Alegre, Helena Marecos, Eduardo Oliveira Fernandes, António Costa Silva, Nuno Ribeiro da Silva and Manuel Duarte Pinheiro.
Thanks to all participants who contributed to this successful event.
Chairman of the 10th Biennial
Cascais Municipality Director for Strategy, Innovation and Quality
With thanks to
The Platinum Sponsor: